Mussoorie with its green hills & varied flora & fauna, is a fascinating hill resort and a fabulous honeymoon spot. Commanding a wonderful view of extensive Himalyan snow ranges to the northeast, & glittering views of the Doon Valley, Roorkee, Saharanpur & Haridwar to the South, the town presents a fairyland atmosphere to the tourists. Its history dates back to 1827 when Captain Young, an adventurous military officer, explored the present site & laid the foundation of this holiday resort which now has few rivals. Mussoorie is famous for its scenic beauty and hectic social life.
Places to See
- Lal Tibba. A scenic 5 km uphill walk from Picture Palace to the highest point in Mussoorie. Passes through Landour Bazaar.Old light house is the nice thing to see there edit
- Kempty Falls – about 15 km from Mussoorie, this now over-built spot is a popular tourist destination. Catch a taxi or a bus from the Library stand.
- Lake Mist – on the way to Kempty falls 10kms from Mussoorie Lake Mist a nice view is available from this place.
- Happy Valley – a couple kilometers from the Library end of the Mall, Happy Valley is a 5,000 strong Tibetan settlement. This is a beautiful spot for a short hike. Taxis and possibly bicycle rickshaws ply this route.
- Dhanaulti– about 28 kms from Mussoorie, this spot is a quiet forest area converted into two Eco parks by the government. Dont miss the forest trails (one inside the Eco Park 2 and the other just outside it). Catch a taxi (approx Rs 900) from the Library stand.
Misty Eco Park 1
- Himalayan Weavers, Tel. 0135-2115282 and 9759009830 – An interesting place on the way to Dhanaulti is Himalayan Weavers which uses natural dyes to produce hand-woven shawls, stoles, scarves and throws of wool, eri silk and pashmina. They have a shop 8 KMs from Mussoorie on the Mussoorie-Dhanaulti Road. They produce high quality hand-made products, popularize the use of environmentally friendly natural dyes and provide a market for craft products made in the Himalayan region.
- Jawahar Aquarium on mall road, very nice collection of fishes.Entry ticket Rs 15/- only.